Saturday, September 6, 2008

The itinerary


Dave and I have not gone on a trip together since 1961, when our Grandparents took us on the ferry from Bridgeport, CT to Port Jefferson, Long Island. It was quite an adventure for us. I was 6 1/2, Dave 5 1/2. Oh we have been to weddings, NYC and Nantucket together, but always with other family and/or friends in tow, not just the two of us (ok so Anga and Gramp went to LI with us but we needed a ride and financial backing). It will be the first time we have shared a room in about 35 years. We lived in the same room, shared the same dresser, closet,desk and bed for the first 14+ years of Dave's life. So it will be like old times.
We fly out on September 11 and arrive in Paris early on the 12th and stay three days. I have been to Paris several times and know my way around a little and a few good places to eat. We will see the sights and then on the 15th, head out to Normandy by train, rent a car and check out the D-Day sites. On the 17th, we will spend most of the day traveling by train to Amsterdam. We are staying with a friend of Dave's (Fox Mulder) and his wife. On the 19th, we will take the train to Frankfurt, rent a car and then visit Luxembourg, Bastogne, Kaysersberg, Mannheim, Heppenheim, back to Frankfurt on the 23rd, and home on the 24th. Our Father fought in WWII with Company G, 30th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Division from mid October, 1944 to January 1946 in southern France and Germany. He was awarded the Bronze Star in Kaysersberg, France on December 17, 1944 and a Purple Heart on December 16, 1944 (and a second in January, 1945). He was awarded the Silver Star in Heppenheim, Germany on March 27, 1945.
This is our chance to see where Dad fought the war that we reanacted in the backyards of Enfield, CT. I am glad that Dave was able to do this and greatful to Lil and Carrie for letting us go. I will try to post entries every day (as long as we have wireless access) inorder that we can all share in the adventure together. Now I have to go and review my 103 item checklist to make sure I don't forget anything. There are a few of you who would never let me hear the end of that.

2 comments:

Patty O'ROurke said...

I know how you feel about them never letting you forget.

Fr. Bob said...

I have been enjoying the trip. Magnificent. Wish I was there. Did you see the Hotel Amstel? I used to stay there (in a previous career of course) - just around the area where one could find great gemstones and also do some "Window Shopping" which, needless to say - caught me completely by surprise (again, in a previous life). Do enjoy the sites and the warmth of the people. Omaha Beach must have been sobering. The price so many paid for such a great cause. How thankful we are for their sacrifice. Fr. Bob